There and back again

Saturday, November 10, 2018



I didn't really mean to take a 3 year break from this space. And yet here we are! To be honest I wasn't sure a. how many people were reading b. if what I was putting out there was any good/beneficial to anyone (myself included) and c. if it was worth the effort during probably the hardest time of my life, residency.

I often oscillate back and forth as to how much of myself I'm willing to expose on the internet. While I'm not comfortable totally unveiling my struggles in the last 3 years, let me just say in case there are any aspiring physicians out there that my years of residency training were the hardest of my life. I worked longer hours, faced more anger and sadness, and struggled with more burn out than I ever had and hopefully ever will again. My program was not particularly better or worse than most training programs in the United States. It's not as if there's anyone to blame.This is simply the way things are. This is what we must do to become fully trained to care for sick human beings. If you are resilient, you'll be alright. If you are sensitive (hi!) brace yourself because it's going to be a rough few years.

And maybe don't stop doing the things you enjoy doing while you're in some of the hardest years of your life...I have a feeling writing, drawing, sharing music and all those things I used to love doing would have helped make the last few years a bit easier.

Either way...I'm back. I'm planning my next move and just so, so thankful that I've made it to the other side.

How's everyone else? What have you been up to? Are you still around? If so, thank you.


I'll post the rest of the wedding photos soon... in the meantime here's one of the many many songs that I've been listening to on repeat this year. Feel free to share your favorite songs in the comments. I'm always looking for new stuff :)


No comments:

Post a Comment