Wedding Wednesday: How we Met

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Peter and I sat down to write the 'How We Met' section of our website when we realized something:

We couldn't do it.

I mean, it was the weirdest thing. I love that romantic, cheesy stuff. I read wedding blogs religiously. But for some reason, when it came to us, to our story, we couldn't get farther than a few sentences before devolving into giggles and calling Peter "Pizza." At one point we were seriously considering using this:

Peter was on Crete conducting research on how to build a laser large enough to destroy the sun. Georgia, a Floridian, was conducting research on a similarly malevolent topic at the medical school. As he was atrocious at Greek, he decided to take a Greek language class. Although Georgia wanted to brush up on her Greek, her true motive of joining the course was to pick up guys. Mission accomplished when she strolled in and sat in front of 3 handsome young physicists. Due to language barriers, Peter was the only one capable of sealing the deal.

Then I scrapped that and just wrote 'we met at a bar.' Yea. Not exactly Disney-fireworks-starry eyed romance material.



I guess when it comes down to it, we're just not the type of people who can write out our feelings so intimately for all the world to see. We're either too cool for it, or not cool enough to figure out how to write it down and make it sound clever and sweet and coy enough; I suspect it's the latter. I realize this sounds quite funny on a personal blog, of all things. But it's true. And personally, I'm cool with it. :)

I guess the advice I am trying to divvy out is: when the time comes to plan your wedding, make it out how you'd like it to be. Provided your guests are well accommodated, you really don't need to indulge in any of these traditions if they're not really 'you.' Peter and I are getting married, before God and our families. It's as simple as that. And there won't be a garter toss, or a cake cutting (unless my Dad wins on this one,) or a cutsey 'How We Met' page on the website.

And it's going to be absolutely perfect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment