Music Monday (plus a cool link)

Sunday, May 19, 2013

I'm feeling a classic kick coming back on, guys
(ok so it's Neil Young circa 1990s-
close enough.)

I remember as a kid
hearing guys like Neil and Bob Dylan sing.
they didn't have a sweetness to their voice
the way some other contemporary singers did
(<3 you Christie McVie!!)
and yet something still draws you in-
perhaps it's the ragged edge that sounds like they've slung back one too many whiskeys,
or the emphasis on storytelling over melody
But really, I think it's probably just the fact that these guys 
(and some of the ladies as well- RIP Janis)
have so much passion inside of them
they're not gonna let their lack of vocal prowess stop them from singing.
And I have to say,
I absolutely love it. 


They don't call Neil the Granddaddy of grunge for nothing.

On another note, what do you think of this NPR article?
I would love to start something like this up at my medical school.
I used to spend a decent amount of time at our local homeless shelter
unfortunately, years of wading through yellow tape, 
only to be stopped in our tracks
left me really disheartened about my ability
as a puny little medical student 
to make a difference in any community at the moment.
I've always felt that I was called to serve others through medicine,
but at the moment,
I am not exactly sure how I should go about answering...
does that make sense? 

This reassuring quote that Peter sent me in one of his letters 
reminds me that rather than attempt to control every minute detail of my life
I should spend more time embracing the moment
and have a bit more faith 
that I will be guided where I need to go



"In whatever place you live,
Stay put until God tells you to leave"

-Abba Anthony 

Have  a wonderful week, friends
oh, and...

Χριστός Ανέστη!

Yep, we can totally still say that! (:

No comments:

Post a Comment