καθαρά Δευτέρα

Monday, March 18, 2013

Morning Peter!

Since it is clean Monday I didn't think any post except a spiritual one would be appropriate. Today is the first day of lent. Concretely, we eat simple foods; no meat, dairy, oil or wine may be consumed today. Spiritually, we reflect on the somberness of the time we are about to enter- Great Lent. We reflect on Christ's unlimited mercy and The Lord's ultimate sacrifice. We reflect on our body's need for God; without God, without His food and water to nurture us, we waste away, not only physically but spiritually as well.

I would have liked to post  a hymn sung by my mother and a friend of hers, but I am not so tech-savvy that I can get it from my personal iTunes into a file on the internet. Suffice it to say it is beautiful, and I wish I could share it today. Maybe another time. In the meantime, here is an equally beautiful chant done in the Byzantine style but in English for my non-Greek or Orthodox readers (looking at you, Peter) , O Virgin Pure. It seems appropriate as Friday is the first Akathist Hymn, a service solely in praise of the Virgin Mary. Be sure to attend if you are near an Orthodox Church somewhere, it's a beautiful service and well-worth it. There's also a pre-sanctified liturgy every Wednesday in lent which is also worth attending if you have the time. Have a blessed lent everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment